Sunday, May 5, 2013

Five for…err…Sunday

I started working on this post on Friday, but it didn’t happen. One of my husband’s sisters flew in from Ireland Friday night, so we’ve been busy enjoying time with Auntie June.

So, I’m going to be one of those people who link up for Five for Friday on a Sunday. Better late than never, huh?

fiveforfriday

1
I mentioned in my last post that I had my formal observation this week. I get nervous for observations at the best of time, but the film crew did add to the nerves!

I created a Root Word Safari for my class as a culminating activity to our Reading Olympians study. We used animal fact cards to find, define, and substitute multisyllabic words containing Greek and Latin roots. For the final (observed) lesson each student created their own animal card for a creature they created and described using multisyllabic words containing Greek and Latin roots.

safari

The observation went really well! Most are still putting the finishing touches on their animal cards, but I will add the activity to my TpT store soon.

In the meantime, I have lots planned for the safari clip art I bought this week!

2
This week my daughter discovered caterpillars in our neighbor’s yard. I had just mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about buying a butterfly kit for her. The friend sent me home with one that same day that she wasn’t using. 

We took in three of the caterpillars. Internet research showed that they are monarchs. I’ve never taught in a grade that does life cycles, so I am a butterfly newbie. 

Friday we came home from school to find this:

IMG_1700

By now we have three pupa. We were on our way to the beach yesterday when we saw one of the butterflies in the neighbor’s yard coming out of the chrysalis. It was drying its wings when we left and then flew away right as we got home. My three year old daughter was so excited! She cannot wait for our three caterpillars to become butterflies!

3
When my grandmother passed away a few years back, one of the things I ended up with was a straw dispenser. I had it in my classroom holding straws for experiments and such. This week I found a new use.

IMG_1696

So far it is working great! The dull pencils go in the cup point down and the sharp pencils go in the straw dispenser.

4
Friday afternoon I told myself that I was going to do my weekly newsletter, plan, grade papers, and make copies before going home. I knew it was lofty, but I somehow managed to get it all done!

I’m choosing to focus on that and not the fact that I just got an e-mail saying that I sent home my progress reports with third quarter grades instead of fourth quarter. Oops! You win some, you lose some!

5
Auntie June is in town so we took the kids to the beach on Saturday morning. The kids love when their Irish family come to visit! My husband’s parents and 5 siblings all live in Ireland. We love spending time with them and doing “Florida” things while they are in town!

photo (2)

The Irishman and I had not had a night out since November. Auntie June babysat last night and Auntie Chris sent us a little something to help fund our night out. (The Irishman and I were both sick when Auntie Christina was here in February) We started car shopping, went to a movie, and had dinner out. We love our kids, but it was a real treat to have some time to ourselves!

I have an award ceremony on Tuesday night, so we get TWO nights out this week. As an added bonus, Auntie June is a teacher in Ireland, so we can talk teacher stuff, too.

~~~~~~~

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for date night and I love your new system with your pencils. Anything and everything that helps with the situation is welcomed in my room! :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny
    Oooo...I'm jealous you are married to an Irishman! I always tell my husband if he had an accent I'd love him just a bit more...hehehehe. I'm very Irish- my name is Deirdre, afterall. Congrats on all you accomplished this week. And oh well for the other stuff! No Biggie- right? I have big goals this week too- I am determined to clean off my desk and file cabinet. I told my friends at work that there will be no talking to me this week...We'll see how it goes!
    Deirdre
    A Burst of First

    ReplyDelete