Friday, May 17, 2013

Five for Friday

I planned to blog this week. I am admiring how others are managing to post and create products at the end of the school year. Amanda just posted these great motivation bracelets. Joanne, Molly, the ladies over at Pinkadots, and Jessica all have great linkys going on that I wanted to join in, but I am just in survival mode!

fiveforfriday

I have about 5 boxes that I keep up on a high shelf shelf. My students have been curious about the contents all year. With all the end of the year fun, it was time to pull them down today.

photo15

We have three big events planned within the last 12 days of school.We are currently questioning our sanity for not spreading things out!

~~~~~~~~

Next week is our Fourth Annual Hawks Helping Haiti event. The first couple of years we put on a play and auctioned off quilts to raise money for the Red Cross. In two years we raised about $3,000.

Last year they had a special guest come in while I was on maternity leave. This woman works with children in Haiti. She told our students that what they needed most was underwear.

Last year we put on three plays – one from each class. The admission was a pack of underwear or undershirts. We are doing the same this year.

My class is performing “Bouki Dances the Kokioko: A Comical Tale from Haiti.” The book is out of print, but it is one of my favorites! I wrote a script from the book a few years back.

Usually I have each group design their own set/backdrop. This is the queen size sheet that my students from last year designed and painted.

image36

~~~~~~~~~

We are also making a Haiku Deck slide show for the event called “Hope for Haiti.” I love this app!

HaikuDeck

I am also loving the case from the iPevo Wishpool. Both are worth checking out if you are not familiar with them!
 
~~~~~~~~~~

Our school does not have field day, so about 5 years ago we created our own Third Grade Olympics. We tie dye shirts, split the kids into mixed teams across classes, organize events, and have a BBQ lunch. It is a lot of fun, but it is a lot of work!

We are in the process of tweaking the even list. We do everything from sprints and long jump to kick the shoe and shave the balloon. Anyone have a favorite field day event for us?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you to everyone who posted kind words about my new position next year.

I will be using Chrome Books with my kids. Does anyone have experience using Chrome books or Google Apps in the classroom? I’m looking for ideas!

I got the okay this week to set up the room as a STEAM lab. I have a vision of what I want to do and I am extremely excited about it all!

Now to get through the rest of this school year first…

~~~~~~~~~~

Enjoy your weekend!

4 comments:

  1. That backdrop is incredible! Our third grade team just ordered Chrome books, too. I'm excited to see how you use them, Jenny. Happy, Happy Friday! Have a relaxing weekend!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi~I can't believe I wasn't already following you? I've been reading your blog for months. :) Good thing I checked. :) That case looks awesome...I must check it out. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeeeeaaaahhh, I have NO idea how people are able to create ANYTHING at this point. I for some insane reason thought I could also take an online class during this last month of crazy. We have 14 more days...and then I will be busting out all the creative ideas that have been circulating in my brain!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what your class is doing for Haiti! What an amazing way to teach students about the world and get them involved in helping and caring about others. So sweet.

    I look forward to seeing what you do with Google Apps and the Chrome books! I don't have any experience with either and can't wait to learn from you!

    Have a great weekend,
    Kayla
    Primary Junction

    ReplyDelete